Before sharing some of the insights about the FDP Programme, I would like to convey my immense gratitude to Head of Department Biomedical Engineering Dr G.Gopu and to the Principal Dr N.R.Alamelu of Sri Ramakrishna Engineering College and to all my fellow colleagues and faculty members at the department who from all the setbacks have motivated and allowed me to pursue my interest in attending this crucial FDP program. I also want to specially wish all my nearest and dearest budding future engineers for supporting me directly and indirectly in a process of shaping my career as a faculty right at this moment. I am very much thankful to Assistant Professor Dineshkumar of Electronics and Instrumentation at Kumaraguru College of Technology (KCT), Coimbatore in providing me an opportunity by contacting me in person to convey to me about the information related to FDP programme. I would also like to thank Prof Nirmala HoD and her entire team of faculty members of The Deparment of Electronics and Instumentation Engineering at KCT in organizing such an amazing and interactive event. The FDP titled as “Research Oriented Artificial Implants And Therapeutic Technologies” was arranged for a span of 2 days on Nov 29th and 30th 2013. This is indeed my first FDP event which I have attended as a faculty and also this is my first FDP at workplace. Anything for first time will always be a special moment which lasts longer and will be etched into the memories. Moving out of the comfort zone is really a huge task and opens up new dimensions into once thought process. It makes us who we are and helps us in understanding the nature of the content which we are interested in learning. The best part of knowing something better is to adapt to a process of “Learning, Unlearning and Relearning”. Participating and attending the events like Seminars, Conference, Workshop and FDP enhances ones vision in better understanding the subject and its role in Designing, Testing and Development of Engineering solutions to the practical and complex problems.
Let me end this section with a short quote.
“Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value”
A SHORT REPORT OF THE EVENT
DAY 1 Forenoon First Session (Duration From: 9:00-10:30AM)
“Development of the chitra Tilting Disc Heart Valve – A Historical Review”
Presented By: Dr G.S Bhuvaneshwar
Director Trivitron Healthcare Pvt .Ltd
IITM Research Park Chennai
- Initially the speaker shared his experience at Sri Chitra Tirunal Institute and addressed to the audience about his role related to the research, design and development of heart valves.
- He explained about the clinical conditions related to the necessary replacement of heart valves. He also provided statistics and the physical ,chemical and structural properties behind the valve designs
- Later on in the talk, the speaker introduced about the history of heart valve design. He started with the physiology of the heart and explained in detail about his research contribution towards the development of indigenous heart valve. He discussed and compared the types of heart valves with the one which was designed by the his team. He concluded with the testing approval of the artificial heart valves.
Second Session (Duration from 11:00-1:00PM)
This session was again handled by the same speaker who presented the research work of his colleague named Muralidharan on the topic “Coronary Stents Engineering Challenges”.
- The presentation started with the history and development of coronary stent design who later explained about the types of stents, its structural properties.
- In specific the speaker explained in detail about the drug eluting stents i.e the drugs which are applied on the outer layer of the stent to prevent intima due to blood clotting.
- The speaker then addressed about the engineering challenges related to stent expansion, design and fabrication. Later he gave a detailed explanation about the procedure of implanting stents through angioplasty.
Afternoon First Session (Duration 2:00 – 3:30 PM)
“Opthalmic Instruments and Phacoemulsifier Equipments”
Presented By: R.Devendran
Technical Service Specialist
Alcon Laboratories India Pvt.Ltd
- The speaker along with his colleage Mr. Arun Devadas gave a small introduction about the cataract and the causes behind the development of cataract.
- He later explained about the product developed by Alcon India which is used to treat cataract.
- A short video about the cataract surgery procedure was demonstrated.
- The technical details about the phacoemulsifier equipment where explained and also the need of cataract surgery and the role of cataract in daily life were explained in brief.